Sunday, October 24, 2010

Networking & Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Networking happens in the oddest of places. I was standing in line with my family at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago a few days ago, waiting... waiting... waiting to get in. Since I'm not one to keep quiet (especially when bored), I struck up a conversation with the woman in front of me, only to find out she is the principal at a very cool school in Indianapolis. We got to talking about our jobs, and I received her business card and an invitation to contact her about speaking at her school.

What does this story prove? You just never know. You never know when you will make a connection, or how it will affect you. Which is why you should never completely empty your purse of all items, including business cards (and instead fill it with snacks and peanut butter sandwiches for your trip) because who knows when those business cards will come in handy?!

Anyway, this is a shout out to my new friends, the James' family from Indy. I hope their boys had a super first experience in Chicago, and I hope to come to Key Learning Community sometime soon and share my life as a writer with the children in IPS!

Thanks for stopping by,
Katie

No comments: