Monday, April 13, 2009

Researching Publishers

Many people that don't know the ins and outs of writing don't understand the importance (and difficulty) of researching publishers for your work. You don't just send out a manuscript to any house and hope for it to be published. You need to research which houses are publishing the type of work you have created, who accepts unsolicited manuscripts, and follow guidelines precisely so your work isn't rejected because you can't read directions.

When I research publishers, I spend hours at the library and home reading the books a house has published to decide if my work is suitable for them. Then, I send my book out into the world and wait, wait, wait for a decision. This is what's been going on with a picture book I wrote three years ago. It has been critiqued again and again, is sellable, but hasn't found the right publisher yet. It's fresh in my mind because I've been researching a new round of publishers for this particular story and I think I have two great possiblities in the mix.

On another note, I didn't receive as much scholarship money as I'd hoped for from Highlights for the Chautauqua workshop. Though their offer was extremely generous, I'm just not able to go this year. There's always next year...

And, I haven't heard from Go! Magazine about an article I subbed for a contest earlier this year. The winners should be announced soon. I can't wait :)

Thanks for stopping by,
Katie

No comments: